Windsor Dental offers Periodontal services
Periodontal maintenance is a specialized type of cleaning performed to address the needs of patients with previous cases of periodontitis. Periodontitis is a type of periodontal disease involving infection of the gums, gradually destroying the support of your natural teeth.
What causes periodontal disease?
Periodontal disease, or gum disease, is a manageable but chronic infection of tissues that requires a consistent, life-long treatment plan. This disease is present below the gumline and causes the attachment between the tooth and its supporting tissues to break down. Without preventative treatments, teeth will gradually become loose due to loss of attachment to gums and bone. Without preventative intervention, tooth/teeth can be lost. Because periodontal disease is usually painless, often people do not realize the problem until it has reached an advanced stage. And did you know? It's contagious!
Warning signs of gum disease
Do you suspect you or a loved one has periodontal disease? Get to know these common symptoms, and schedule your appointment at Windsor Family Dental for an accurate diagnosis.
- Persistent bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth, periodontal disease is active below the gumline, which makes it impossible to reach with a toothbrush
- Healthy gums are pink, not red, and inflamed. Always remember if they bleed easily, that is your first warning sign.
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth, this is called recession and can also be caused by clenching your teeth or brushing too hard.
- Permanent (adult) teeth that are loose or separating or flaring. This is a sign of attachment loss.
- Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite or changes in the fit of a partial denture
Other important factors affecting the health of your gums include:
- Clenching and grinding teeth
- Poor nutrition